Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Jim's Dictionary

For years now I've been noticing people who are examples of something. Lameness, goofiness, stupidity, pretty much anything. A convention of speech, an afectation if you will, that I use when describing them is to say that their picture should be in the dictionary under the definition of that word. That seemed to me to be the opitimy of the essence of whatever word we were talking about.

So Friday, in an ultimately futile effort to stave off boredom, I decided to start a webpage.

Jim's Dictionary (first pass)

It looked pretty good so I sent out a note to my ... the first word which pops into my head was "pisanos" (I used to use "pisos" until I learned that not only was that not Italian, it wasn't a word either) but I guess the correct term today is "my peeps". Somehow that just seems strange to say. And a bit pretentious. Not the sort of pretentious which says (or implies) "I have more money than you, I make more money than you and therefore I am better than you" (pure rubbish btw) but the "I'm not really one of these cool kids but I'll use their words and try to pretend to be" sort. Anyway I sent a note out. Erik (who sits next to me when I'm in the Op Center on Fridays) pointed out that I should try to use one of those free wikis to allow other people to add to my dictionary. So I got something called qwikiwiki (man that has more "i"'s than my name).

Installation was a bit of a stretch since I had to make that folder world readable (a Very Bad Thing which I turned off as quickly as possible) but I got it in. Then I had to figure out how to put my first two entries in. That took a little while but eventually I got it down. So now Jim's Dictionary is open for registered users to add to.

Jim's Dictionary

I added the first two entries and Yvonne suggested one more. I'll put that in soon. So everyone else can have at it if they find someone who is a perfect example of some word (good or bad, mine are negative so far). I retain the right to edit things if I don't like them (usually meaning they're meaner than they need to be or abusive of other people who may read it).

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

spelling tip.
Paisanos,Italian/european spelling being what it is.

Amichi might be good, too. friends plural...

10:24  

Post a Comment

<< Home