Friday, May 07, 2004

Final Episode?

Well I didn't want to, but I did anyway. I watched the final episode of "Friends" instead of just taping it and watching it whenever. The hour before may have been funny but it was still "I've seen this one and I didn't watch that one the first time around."

And Leno's monologue about it was funnier than the show itself.

"I heard that it's going to DVD in 5 days. The only other thing that went to DVD that fast was Gigli!"

But tonight there's another episode of "20/20" (or whatever the NBC "news" show is ... not "20/20", it's "Dateline", that shows you how much it impresses me, I can't even remember it's name) about it (there was one the night before). And next week they're doing the whole stupid thing all over again with "Frasier". Reminds me of how we were taught to teach in the Army. "Tell them what you're going to tell them, tell them, then tell them what you just told them." At least those things were worth something, if only passing whatever test came next.

Sheesh!

It's not like it's the cure for cancer or Shakespeare or anything, it's just a freaking TV show. And one which was past it's prime at that! Retire gracefully. Quietly. Fade into the sunset. Don't cry and cry about it. Let us get on with our lives. I don't remember this much bullsh*t about the M*A*S*H finale all those years ago and that show was a lot funnier and not nearly as blase at the end (of course Alan Alda did get kind of preachy when he started writing/directing them).

But in an era when in order to be a marketing executive you must have a pre-frontal lobotomy (and definately NOT be funny) and in order to be a network executive you must meet that requirement, have no soul AND have all your common sense removed, it's not surprising in the least. Andy is right, TV isn't worth the time. I can find something better to spend it on, even if it's only vacuuming the house or cleaning the catbox.

Whoa, cleaning the catbox is more fun that watching TV. Sad. Really sad.