Monday, May 09, 2005

Movies this weekend

Oh, I got three more rentals from Netflix. "Frequency" (which I haven't watched yet), "Girl, Interrupted" and "King Arthur". I really liked Girl, Interrupted. An interesting treatment of the mind we may find inside ourselves and how the outside world may look upon it as crazy. The security of being crazy and the fear of the unknown. Wynona Rider and Angelina Jolie were great. Both close enough their characters that they tapped into their own emotions to power the character and produce a fine effort.

The other ... well yea. I thought when Disney produced the last Three Muskateers film that this was the worst remake of a movie ever. I presumed that nothing was the same but the names of the characters, although I did enjoy Oliver Platt's performance and I enjoyed Charlie Sheen and Keifer Sutherland. Well and Tim Curry is always fun. This film (King Arthur) is so hideously bad that you can't really claim that the character's names were the same. Yes, there was Arthur, Merlin, Guinevere, Lancelot, Gawain, Galahad and ... Bors. Yes, exactly! Who is Bors and what bearing did he have on the Arthurian legend? And why are the Romans the bad guys? And why are Merlin and the Britons fighting Arthur and his "Sarmatian" knights? Well I was going to ask who the Sarmatians were next but it appears that may have some historical basis in fact. This made me question my opinion of it (facts? from Hollywood???), but a quick poke at rottentomatoes.com shows what a dog this is (32%).

I was unable to make the connection and it drove me away from the movie. Some of the fight scenes were well done but some were silly (how on Earth are you supposed to protect someone from arrows with a buckler???). None of the acting impressed me and the script was limp at best. I'd heard of none of the actors, however, so I wasn't disappointed by that except for Keira Knightly (Guinevere). No idea why she painted herself blue and was an accomplished archer though.

Well time to head home. Need to get some liquid electrical tape so I can fix the sunglass widget I fasten to my glasses. Need to make sure I do the machine tonight also.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home