Monday, May 09, 2005

Okay

Since I've been taken to task on my stand on evolution, let me clarify where I stand on the issue.

My point is that I don't think religious education (aside from certain historical perspectives, ala the crusades, etc.) should be covered in public schools. I think that students should be given a good general education in English, a foreign language, communication (writing, reading and speaking), history, society (social studies), math and science. Sufficient information and knowledge to function effectively in modern society.

However I don't think this is all they should learn since little of this would help them (I believe) form a solid base of ethics and morals. I think that education in your church (whichever faith you or your family may believe in) should assist in education about what society considers right and wrong, how to evaluate things in that perspective and a system of ethics/morals. This is one of the two most important things young people should learn, how to behave ethically and morally (the other is how to think but that's a whole separate debate). For people who don't believe in organized religion I would think this would fall back to the family/home.

And I don't disagree with the idea that we should present other theories about the creation of the Earth and life on it. However staging hearings about ONE other theory and not inviting opponents to that position strikes me as putting blinders on, sticking your fingers in your ears and humming "lalalalalalala" so you won't hear anything you don't like/agree with.

I won't say it's the height of stupidity since I think that would insult a few people who read this that I love and respect (and it's a bit stronger than I really intend), but it does strike me as pretty silly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home