Friday, February 24, 2006

Another traitorous historian loose in the world

Part of a line from "Deadhouse Gates" by Steven Erikson. I finished reading "Gardens of the Moon" and started on book 2 in the "Mazalan Book of the Fallen" series. The first one wasn't bad but it was a lot of pages to read for the ending's payoff. It almost seemed like too much work. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it enough to read the next one and not regret buying the first and third after not sending in my refusal to the Sci Fi Bookclub one month. But there were a lot of pages to read before you got to the "real" plot and then it was predictable. And the climax was also what I expected. But the setting was pretty interesting and he writes well enough that it wasn't a Stephen Donaldson (I read the Thomas Covenant books years ago and regretted it ever since).

Advice?
An assortment of odd things rattling around in my brain.

* Always assume when you go to a fast food place during the lunch rush and park to go inside (thinking it might be faster than the drive thru) that someone will block you in. Irony is, after all, totally in charge here! At least when ... okay I was looking for a word here but got distracted, at least when Entropy isn't in charge.

* Joan Osborne is searching for some furniture. Should I help her out? (yea right, most of my stuff is bachelor furniture)

* Hippie chicks are awfully damn cute!

* Black Lab puppies are cute too!

* Wouldn't it be alarming if the objects that we talk to on a daily basis talked back? What would they say? Would my sandwich condemn me for eating it? Would it scream in terror as I bite it?

* Entropy is not the same as chaos or anarchy. I couldn't remember the word but I was certain it was another aspect of chaos but thought it started with an "A".

Historians:

If a carpenter is a person who works with wood to create items (tables, houses, that sort of stuff) then would a historian be a person who creates history? How would a historian create history? Would they have to be close to world or country leaders? What would their job profile look like on monster.com? What would your resume look like if you were looking for a job as a historian? What would people who study it major in? What would their professors be called? All of this sounds a lot like Asimov's Foundation books. At least on the surface (and isn't that all we Americans value nowadays?).

3 Comments:

Blogger alaphrench said...

Yes! Black lab puppies are cute! (And Yes, I am biased on that subject! ;) )

"Wouldn't it be alarming if the objects that we talk to on a daily basis talked back? What would they say? Would my sandwich condemn me for eating it? Would it scream in terror as I bite it?"

This cracks me up and something my son and I spoke of one day.

15:05  
Blogger banzai said...

My mind sometimes goes to places best described by Weird Al Yankovick's song "Stuck in a Closet with Vanna White" (and yes, the title is indicative of the lyrics of the song.

Stuck In A Closet With Vanna White

09:09  
Blogger alaphrench said...

Spiffy.

12:53  

Post a Comment

<< Home